3.15.2010

Horror can be fun!




In the past month or so, I’ve watched a fair share of goofy horror films that kept me smiling throughout their runtime. I have the most fun with horror movies that lack gravity—the ones that don’t have a pretentious bone in their filmic body. While a heavy, disturbing horror film is a wonderful treat, I’d like my primary diet to consist of light-hearted horror fan fare. Here’s a couple mini-reviews for some recent viewings that satisfy these needs.

Dead Snow (2009)
While some found the on-the-nose horror references to be annoying in this Norwegian Nazi-zombie film, I couldn’t help but fall in love with all of its silliness. Sure there are far too many unnatural plugs for films like The Evil Dead and Friday the 13th, but hey, it’s Nazi zombies! Lighten up! Machine gun mounted to a snowmobile, entrails wrapping around trees, and chainsaw amputation? Sold.

Night of the Comet (1984)
When the guys over at All Things Horror were raving about this gem of a movie (well, mostly raving about Kelli Maroney), I knew I had to bump this up to a higher position on my Netflix queue. You couldn’t ask for a more perfectly 80’s sci-fi/horror/comedy than this! Trained in combat by their military father, two sisters kick ass in the post-apocalyptic fallout of a comet. I knew I loved this movie when Regina looked sooooo serious playing the arcade game, Tempest. And the fact that the original title for this film was intended to be Teenage Mutant Horror Comet Zombies says more than enough.
Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever (2009)
I guess I have poor taste because a lot of you out in the horror blogosphere hated this movie. I, on the other hand, completely loved this movie. So many gross moments to make you laugh while cringing. So many teen dramas unraveling that you long for 90’s horror. So much bloody projectile vomit that it makes the ipecac scene from Family Guy look tame. Ti West’s style is all over this one, even if the studio tampered with his ending and final cut of the film. I’m still a fan!

14 comments:

  1. "Dead Snow" was fun, but I found it to be a bit over-hyped. I still like "Shock Waves" better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Night of the Comet takes me way back. Watching it nowadays really brings back that ol' 80s vibe.

    Alos, there must be Hater Fever for Cabin Fever 2. Since your rec, the status of Cabin Fever 2 in my queue is still "Very Long Wait" as of today. So haters, please send back in your DVDs so I can see what Becky is talking about. Danke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't seen the other two, but I love Night of the Comet! Great 80s flick, without a doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lee, Yeah it was hard not to have high expectation going into Dead Snow with all of the praise it received. However, I was sure to read a couple negative reviews before watching it, so I ended up being pleasantly surprised. I haven't seen Shock Waves.

    Geof, That's odd about the wait. I got it pretty quickly back when it first came out. Maybe people liked it, but aren't reviewing it? I've mostly seen negative reviews. Oh well. When you finally receive it, just remember to have fun when watching it and don't expect it to be like the first one.

    Wings, You should check the others out. They may be up your ally, especially Dead Snow. It's dripping in 80's horror.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In _Night of the Comet_, I mean. Oops. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, the heroines' father is in the regular military. I think he's a colonel, but I haven't seen it recently enough to say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the real stain, Thanks for the correction. I couldn't remember for sure, but I remember doing something in South America or something...the way they were referring to it seemed like it was secretive, so I assumed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep seeing "Night of the Comet" popping up on the Blogsphere and I begin to wonder how I could miss watching that, it's definitely on my to-do list now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm looking forward to seeing Dead Snow, but I have to agree with you. I like funny horror flicks. It feels good to laugh at things that are supposed to be frightening. I suggest you give Undead or Alive a try. It is a self-proclaimed Zombedy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Old Folkie, Do check out Night of the Comet. It's just a fun 80's flick to make ya' smile, nothing more, nothing less.

    Gargantua, I've seen Undead. I liked it, but was a little underwhelmed by it. Hmm, not sure I've heard of Alive. I'm assuming you're not talking about the one where the people are stranded in Alaska? Cause I've seen that...and it's not funny.

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS - I got behind in my reading this week too Becks lol.. Weds I was at moms for corned beef, yay for weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought DEAD SNOW was a blast, but I was surprised to find many negative reviews floating around the blogs! Fucking nazi zombies? Whats not to love??

    Still havent seen CF2, but I was never a fan of NotC despite its pure 80sness, might have to give it the third view for final thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carl, Mmm corned beef! Haha. I'm not sure if you'd like CF2 or not. Bloggers I thought would like it hated it, so I feel like I am way off my rocker with this one. Oh well, don't make it a priority to see. NotC is not a great film by any means. It's missing a lot of action, a lot of plot, and some punch, but damn, it just captures the 80's so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed "Dead Snow" and saw "Night of the Comet" sooo many years ago! You brought back memories!
    Haven't seen "Cabin Fever 2" yet but you have me thinking I should give it a go!!

    ReplyDelete